The good, the bad, and the just plain ugly...
It is hard knowing where to go in a new city. On Friday night, me and the two Canadians went to this placed called the Odeon. Except it was so super hot, that we couldn't dance and ended up going back to the Q-Bar. Except the Q-Bar was not particularly fun that night. Well they say not to go back to the same place twice.
Anyway, Saturday, I went to 02 in the park, which is this big pop music festival held at Pheonix Park. There were 100 000 people in attendance (mostly annoying kids and drunk teenagers). It was super hot and humid, surprising for Ireland. I was excited about this concert because I wanted to see Blue and Westlife. The show started at noon, I ended up getting there at around 3 pm. So I missed Blue. I was not happy about this. In fact, I was really pissed. But it's my fault for not going earlier. I honestly just assumed that they would be on near the end. I did see Westlife though and they were absolutely amazing. Love them. Sang a bunch of great songs, looked hot, and were just generally fabulous. Mark Feehily can sing. Although everyone here seems to get annoyed at his extra artistic touches, saying how he thinks he's Mariah Carey. I think he's bloody amazing and if you've got the talent, flaunt it. So Westlife were amazing.
Yesterday, I saw a free play at St. Stephen's Green called Midsummer's Night Dream, obviously by Shakespeare. It was OK. What can you expect for freeness? It was weird hearing Shakespeare being recited by actors with Irish accents though. Weird but cool.
OK... now comes the whining part... so if you don't want to hear me bitch and moan... stop reading. Firstly, a lot of people here seem to have a chip on their shoulder about Americans. Now I seem to get two things a lot. Firstly, people assume I can't speak English and are surprised when I can. Heck, I can bloody well teach some of these people English. But anyway, the second thing I am getting a lot of is, when they see I speak English, they then go on to assume that I am American. I tell them I am not American, but in fact Canadian. They then go on to refuse to see the separation of America and Canada, and attack me and my friends for Americanism. Yesterday, one guy told me that Americans were stupid and thought that every single country was out to get them. He then went on to say that it was our fault for letting all the terrorists in.
I tend to avoid political conversations like these, and I may get a lot of hate mail for what I've just said, but I don't care. I'm getting tired of the haters here. I don't mind listening to well-informed people, but not opinions based on two movies. If you are going to make a political statement, make sure you have all the facts first.
I am getting tired of the haters first of all thinking I can't speak English and secondly dissing me as an American, when I am in fact not American, but Canadian. Even after careful and patient explanation, people still don't care and diss "Canmerica" for being obese, stupid, and they go on to put on these ridiculous, exaggerated American accents. I in no way speak like that. There is more anti-American sentiment here than I would have thought.
I now realize how much I took Toronto for granted and home for granted. It's really challenging being on your own. This morning I washed my clothes. And I wanted to hang them up to dry. Fair enough and easy enough right? No. I couldn't leave them on the clothes line outside because it looks like it's going to rain. Can't leave them dripping in the bath tub. Can't put them dripping in room. What to do with them? Sheesh. Such a dilemma. At home, I would just stick them on the clothes hanger type thing in the basement. Anyway, why not just chuck them in the dryer you ask? Because it is handwash only. Remind me to avoid buying clothes which are "handwash only". This leads me to my next point of complaint - I am clothesless, and sheetless. I wish I had brought more clothes. I surely can't afford to buy any. There is going to be a bit of a lag before I actuallly get paid and when I start work. This is because I couldn't get my PPS (SIN) number until last Friday. I can't open a bank account until I have my PPS. So I am basically just stuck in limbo... withdrawing money from my account at home and watching my savings being eaten away.
My final complaint of the day is food. I am grocery shopping again today. But I am so useless I have no idea what to buy. I've run out of milk. I eat cereal every day. I don't know. Life was a lot easier at home...
My final, final complaint, my contact lens is stuck in my left eye. It's been there since Saturday. This is the last thing I need. I am going to the doctor's to have it taken out today. Stupid contact lens. Pain in the neck.
I know this e-mail sounds all moany and complainy... but I just had to vent. I am having a great time here for the most part. I really am. I am doing a lot of stuff that I wouldn't get to do back in T.O. But life's presenting me with these little challenges, that I hadn't anticipated. No doubt it'd character building, but I do miss the comfort of my own home when the parental units took care of everything.
Anyway, Saturday, I went to 02 in the park, which is this big pop music festival held at Pheonix Park. There were 100 000 people in attendance (mostly annoying kids and drunk teenagers). It was super hot and humid, surprising for Ireland. I was excited about this concert because I wanted to see Blue and Westlife. The show started at noon, I ended up getting there at around 3 pm. So I missed Blue. I was not happy about this. In fact, I was really pissed. But it's my fault for not going earlier. I honestly just assumed that they would be on near the end. I did see Westlife though and they were absolutely amazing. Love them. Sang a bunch of great songs, looked hot, and were just generally fabulous. Mark Feehily can sing. Although everyone here seems to get annoyed at his extra artistic touches, saying how he thinks he's Mariah Carey. I think he's bloody amazing and if you've got the talent, flaunt it. So Westlife were amazing.
Yesterday, I saw a free play at St. Stephen's Green called Midsummer's Night Dream, obviously by Shakespeare. It was OK. What can you expect for freeness? It was weird hearing Shakespeare being recited by actors with Irish accents though. Weird but cool.
OK... now comes the whining part... so if you don't want to hear me bitch and moan... stop reading. Firstly, a lot of people here seem to have a chip on their shoulder about Americans. Now I seem to get two things a lot. Firstly, people assume I can't speak English and are surprised when I can. Heck, I can bloody well teach some of these people English. But anyway, the second thing I am getting a lot of is, when they see I speak English, they then go on to assume that I am American. I tell them I am not American, but in fact Canadian. They then go on to refuse to see the separation of America and Canada, and attack me and my friends for Americanism. Yesterday, one guy told me that Americans were stupid and thought that every single country was out to get them. He then went on to say that it was our fault for letting all the terrorists in.
I tend to avoid political conversations like these, and I may get a lot of hate mail for what I've just said, but I don't care. I'm getting tired of the haters here. I don't mind listening to well-informed people, but not opinions based on two movies. If you are going to make a political statement, make sure you have all the facts first.
I am getting tired of the haters first of all thinking I can't speak English and secondly dissing me as an American, when I am in fact not American, but Canadian. Even after careful and patient explanation, people still don't care and diss "Canmerica" for being obese, stupid, and they go on to put on these ridiculous, exaggerated American accents. I in no way speak like that. There is more anti-American sentiment here than I would have thought.
I now realize how much I took Toronto for granted and home for granted. It's really challenging being on your own. This morning I washed my clothes. And I wanted to hang them up to dry. Fair enough and easy enough right? No. I couldn't leave them on the clothes line outside because it looks like it's going to rain. Can't leave them dripping in the bath tub. Can't put them dripping in room. What to do with them? Sheesh. Such a dilemma. At home, I would just stick them on the clothes hanger type thing in the basement. Anyway, why not just chuck them in the dryer you ask? Because it is handwash only. Remind me to avoid buying clothes which are "handwash only". This leads me to my next point of complaint - I am clothesless, and sheetless. I wish I had brought more clothes. I surely can't afford to buy any. There is going to be a bit of a lag before I actuallly get paid and when I start work. This is because I couldn't get my PPS (SIN) number until last Friday. I can't open a bank account until I have my PPS. So I am basically just stuck in limbo... withdrawing money from my account at home and watching my savings being eaten away.
My final complaint of the day is food. I am grocery shopping again today. But I am so useless I have no idea what to buy. I've run out of milk. I eat cereal every day. I don't know. Life was a lot easier at home...
My final, final complaint, my contact lens is stuck in my left eye. It's been there since Saturday. This is the last thing I need. I am going to the doctor's to have it taken out today. Stupid contact lens. Pain in the neck.
I know this e-mail sounds all moany and complainy... but I just had to vent. I am having a great time here for the most part. I really am. I am doing a lot of stuff that I wouldn't get to do back in T.O. But life's presenting me with these little challenges, that I hadn't anticipated. No doubt it'd character building, but I do miss the comfort of my own home when the parental units took care of everything.

3 Comments:
...it's okay mei...this is where you become... *gasp*... an adult... having to do domestic things!!! I'm saying this in the nicest possible way, of course! Hey...you made fun of me! But seriously... you will get through it... remember to let me know if you need anything!
love, murd
Hello Mei
You do sound a little lost in Dublin. Stick with it young lady and things will get better. I live in England now but come from Ireland and I assure you that it is filled with warmth and humour. As your "Friend"? says. This is called growing up. (Yes I KNOW you want to kill me for saying that but I WAS laughing at the time I promise)
PS You sound JUST like one of my Grandaughters would moan.lol
Hey Mei...
As I have learned, there are good days and bad days when you move overseas. Just push through it and it will all be good again soon.
One piece of advice I was given when I first moved to Scotland was that to make a place "yours" you should go on a trip and then return "home". It totally worked for me. Perhaps once you get paid you can plan a weekend trip away (I'll be doing the same, as we have 5 days off for Chuseok at the end of September!)
Post a Comment
<< Home